Immigration Law

Immigration Law & Status

Immigration law governs a variety of issues concerning foreign nationals in the United States. It covers what the duties and the rights of these foreign nationals. It determines their immigration status and their immigration options. It also is the determining factor of whether a foreign national is in the United States legally or illegally, as well as if they are allowed to be deported or not.

One of the first things that probably come to mind when you hear the term immigration law are green cards. Naturally, we’ve decided to focus on some issues surrounding green cards and hopefully give a little better understanding about them. We’ll also see a variety of ways that a foreign national may lawfully come to live and reside in the United States.

Immigration Law: Legal Immigration Situations

·       Immigration through employment: A foreign national may receive authorization to live and work in the United States.

·       Immigration may be granted under immigration law when the foreign national has a relative who is a United States citizen or lawfully lives in the US.

·       Foreign nationals may be granted immigration if they have invested into a commercial enterprise in the United States.

·       The registry provision of the immigration and nationality act: If a foreign national has been in the United States since January 1, 1972 they may be eligible to become a citizen – even if they entered illegally or are here illegally.

·       The diversity lottery: You may be selected to receive a Visa if your country has a low immigration rate. This program is run by the Department of the State.

How Does Immigration Law Afford a Foreign National Already in US to Become a Citizen?

If you’re currently a foreign national residing in the United States, you may be able to become a citizen if that is what you wish to do. It isn’t a quick or simple process, though. There are many steps to achieving citizenship in the US. You can find a checklist of all the required paperwork you’ll have to submit to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services here. Please be sure to read through the entire page, as there are also a lot of conditions that may require extra steps to be taken. For example, in the case that your parent became a permanent resident legally after your birth, you’ll have to submit evidence of that. You’ll also have to provide your birth certificate and proof of the relationship between you and your parent.